Sunday, March 27, 2011

School Tomorrow

Spring break is officially over for me.

I spent my spring break suffering through the worse case of pink eye, a sore throat that left me in tears every time I swallowed, and exhaustion that had me sleeping at least 12 hours every day.

On the surface it was terrible but deep down I needed the mental vacation. I didn't open one text book. I don't even know what's on my agenda this week. Normally this would find me in a state of panic but I'm refreshingly relaxed.

This state of ease probably has something to do with the fact that I've decided to focus on one major. Creative writing has won out. As much as I'd like to continue in journalism, I'm not deeply in love with the major. It probably doesn't help that Journalism Department is in flux and seems to be seeking to define itself in the Age of the Internet. It's a tad bit disconcerting to have your professors wondering why anyone would want a journalism major in this day and age.

I still intend to freelance. I'll write for the school newspaper and online magazine to collect my precious clips but I'll do it outside of classes. As an English major I can still seek out internships at magazines and newspapers (it's actually encouraged by our rather practical English Department).

So I can finally take a deep breath and focus on my first love.

No comments:

Post a Comment