Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Beginning Again

The hot breath of the New Year is upon me and I find myself in a pensive mood. I’m looking back over the year and shaking my head; I don’t like what I see. As usual there were plethora of great ideas. If even half these ideas made it from my head into some form of reality I’d be Time Magazine’s Person of the Year. Okay, maybe that’s a slight exaggeration but I definitely think I could have made someone’s Top Ten list.

I am battling inertia and the fighting has been brutal. All the casualties have been on my side. I’ve lost my energy, my initiative, my discipline and my drive. I’ve become what I loathe- a complainer, a self-pitying whiner, and a giver-upper. Ouch! That hurts. So what do I do?

Do I raise the flag and negotiate a settlement where the terms are not too onerous? Maybe I’ll admit there was never any talent to begin with and settle into my couch for the finale of Dancing with the Stars. Maybe I’ll find a group of the equally disillusioned where we sit around making snarky comments about those who haven’t settled themselves on the sidelines. Perhaps I’ll focus on immediate gratification and dull my ache at the local mall.(Kohl’s bucks, anyone?)

Naw, I think there’s still some fight left. The reserves seem pretty promising. At least these guys have some idea of where the front-lines are. This time I’ll ambush them. No more waiting for the fateful countdown announcing a new cycle. Hah! I’ll start right now. I’ll get back my energy, my initiative, my discipline, my drive and (because I’m such a badass) I’ll throw in my boldness and my stubbornness. Who knows, I just might just come into the New Year kicking ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment