Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Fiction versus Non-Fiction Brain

I seem to be unable to pick a side.

This semester, I wanted to focus on non-fiction writing but as hard as I try I am filled daily with incredible story ideas. The kinds of ideas that have had me almost driving off the road. (I go into this trance-like state when I'm seized with a hum-dinger of a story.)

I have numerous deadlines. I'm trying to get my right brain to kick into gear but the left brain is asserting its dominance. While I should be emailing, researching, and making phone calls, I'm crafting sentences, reaching into the subconscious of my characters, and inhabiting another land.

Maybe this is my brain's way of telling me it can't handle creative writing and journalism at the same time. Or maybe I'm just procrastinating. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment