Sunday, January 2, 2011

Don't Ask, Don' Tell 2011

So this is my theme for 2011.

DON'T ASK
No longer am I asking for the time I need to do the things I want to do. I suffer from that disease that afflicts many women- the Put-Myself-Last Syndrome. When it comes to taking care of the household chores, I never ask.

"Can I please have an hour to vacuum the house?" I just vacuum and everything else waits.

But when it comes to taking the time to write, go for a run or to the gym, schedule a race, I'm always asking. Unfortunately, the answer is always no, and I'm left hoping to squeeze it in tomorrow.

DON'T TELL

The flip-side of asking is telling. I love to talk. I love to announce the latest idea that pops into my head. I tell anyone willing to listen as the idea develops and formulates. By the time I get around to actually taking action, the fire has sputtered out.

Or...

I tell those around me my plan and suddenly every obstacle is tossed my way. Instead of dodging, I'm falling flat on my face, doing nothing.

This year, I'm not asking; I'm not telling; I'm doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment